Further Shameful Decisions Made at Australian Hospitals . Namely Darwin Hospital in January 2014
I wrote the above blog named ” Our Failing Health System In Australia” in July 2013. Since then all levels of Government’s in Australia have made statements to in prove the health system in Australia. However experiences of inadequate service to patients continue. I have experienced it myself several times since July 2013. In my own view medical staff are not given enough time to proper assess and treat patients. Myself and those I communicate with say that as patients “you feel like you are rushed in and out of any medical centre, hospital without proper assessment and treatment. ” One very recent January 2014 example for myself was when I was returning from Manila I had to be taken off a plane during a stop over in Darwin due to severe ill health and taken to Darwin hospital . This was on my way home from Manila to Brisbane Queensland Australia International airport. During my admission to the emergency department at Darwin Australia hospital they did tests gave me pain relief, and then told me to leave. There was no flight until the following morning. I had to go to a motel for the night alone in an extremely unwell condition. Darwin hospital gave me a clearance to fly but informed me that I needed further tests to identify the nature of the severe stomach problem when I arrived home. There was a possibility I could have contracted a serious medical condition while visiting Manila. They refused to keep me overnight for further tests, medical treatment & observations. They said ” While it is quite now we have to be prepared that there may be an influx of patients later from Indonesia” . As an Australian Tax payer I found that insulting and inadequate. I was so ill that shortly after I finally arrived home to Surfers Paradise Queensland Australia I had to be hospitalised again under my private health fund for tests and treatment in an infectious unit. Tell us your experiences where our Australian Health System has failed you.
City of Sydney Council and its leadership is in doubt for what seems to be the crossing of the boarder of moral behaviour and proper use of public funds
No Fair play at Fitzroy Gardens Article read as this
The Land and Environment Court has granted an injunction against the City of Sydney Council building a canopy over the playground at Fitzroy Gardens in Kings Cross, as part of its broader upgrade plans for the park.
The decision prevents the Council from building the 45-square metre, five-metre high and steel-framed canopy until a development application (DA) has been approved.
The structure needs to fit the development standards set out in the Environment Planning Policy (Infrastructure) Act 2007. However, the court has allowed the rest of Council’s planned upgrade to go ahead.
The decision is a win for the applicant Andrew Woodhouse, President of the Potts Point and Kings Cross Heritage Conversation Society.
Mr Woodhouse said the court’s decision provided the Council with two options with regards to the canopy.
“The court’s decision last Friday forces Council to stop work immediately and either (a) issue a DA for this mega-canopy or (b) severely reduce its size by half,” he said.
“This decision is a victory for common sense, which is not common enough in this Council. It vindicates my decision to go to court in the public interest – a point the court accepted.”
The decision comes after more than four years of the Potts Point and King Cross community lobbying against the redevelopment of Fitzroy Gardens. The lobbying included community concern over a non-delivered DA for the upgrade of the playground, concern over demolition of a wall mosaic and refurbishment of the famous El-Alamein Fountain.
A City of Sydney spokesperson said the decision upholds Council’s position that the Fitzroy Gardens development is exempt development under state planning laws.
“The City is currently reviewing the decision and considering whether it intends to lodge an appeal in relation to the canopy,” the spokesperson said.
The Counsel representing Mr Woodhouse, Dixie Coulton said it is important Council has been made to follow proper process.
“If Council were to appeal, subject to instructions, Mr Woodhouse would be well advised to consider his right to cross appeal, the grounds of which would be very strong,” she said.
“The court has found the Council must submit a DA for the canopy. The question of the merit of the canopy is another matter entirely.”
City of Sydney Councillor Angela Vithoulkas said the impact of the construction and the heritage value of the gardens should be considered.
“The as a result of extensive consultation, the majority of the local community overwhelmingly responded that they did not want an expanded children’s playground, but they wanted the existing playground to be improved with better equipment and surfaces,” she said.
“What has happened is an expanded playground, some 400 per cent larger, despite evidence from the latest census that children numbers are declining in the area.
“There is also a real risk to the beautiful established trees in the park by having excavation and constructions so close to their base. If the playground was a little smaller, the historic trees have a better chance of survival.”
Paul Wagner, Co-Convenor of the Friends of Fitzroy Gardens, said the toilets underneath Kings Cross Police Station were also a glaring problem.
“The toilets were inoperable for 48 days recently, which included the period of the International Fleet Review, based at Garden Island,” he said. “Although three portaloos were sited in Fitzroy Gardens during this time, the portaloos were smelly and possibly a health hazard.”
The Council spokesperson agreed that the toilets had been in a state of disrepair and said they had needed structural repair due to constant use.
“On October 16, plumbers completed all the necessary pump works and the Exceloos are now open again at Kings Cross,” the spokesperson said.
Comments from myself Virginia Lawton a local resident and rate payer for two properties in the area.
As an individual trained and experienced in Child Psychology, the playground in Rushcutters Bay is a much more suitable area for children to play. There are away from the Kings Cross area’s known social dis functioning seen every day close to Fitzroy Gardens. Council needs to review their values when making decisions most of which of late have , in my view not been in the public interest. The Mayor with total responsibility should step down from her job as this information is now being revealed.
There has been evidence of late that suggest that the City of Sydney Mayor where the buck stops with decision making has been somewhat out of line and crossing the boarder of moral principals . There is no place for an individual in a position in power with responsibility for rate payers funds to be wasteful and less than honourable . She needs to consider her position.
We live in a democracy , with free speech for those of you who did not understand and wrote to me. This is a Child Protection. Health & Economy issue Kind regards Virginia Lawton
Australia, USA & UK always rank top for obesity. Having studied Health & research obesity is a major problem facing our countries . McDonalds should pay our health costs associated with obesity, with their high marketing budget. They target our children and we should all say get out of our Country.
See this recent article .
McDonald’s plans to build a huge 24/7 store and drive-through in our town on the Dandenong ranges — demolishing local iconic buildings on the site and ensuring it goes directly opposite the kindergarten and school.
For our kids, the nearby national park and our beautiful small-town culture, there could be nothing worse.
Every day, kids as young as five years old would need to walk past a giant advertisement for junk food just to go to school. This is despite health experts warning of the damaging impact of junk food on young children —…
View original post 243 more words